Not Your Ordinary Hip Hop Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesLog inRegister
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» ZebAFMP (Producer)
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 7:41 am by Zebulon

» Top 5 rappers lists from a true perspective
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 11:26 am by Zebulon

» Zebulon interviewing Necro
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 8:40 am by Zebulon

» Zebulon interviewing Death Star
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 2:22 pm by Zebulon

» DJ Niffty (Disc Jockey)
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 11:49 am by Zebulon

» Rasty (Graffiti artist)
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 11:19 am by Zebulon

» Zebulon interviewing DEstructive MOnarch (Demon)
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 9:36 am by Zebulon

» Zebulon interviewing MC Jin
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 8:17 am by Zebulon

» Zebulon interviewing SafarI (Articulate Artists)
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 11:03 am by Zebulon

Poll
Who is your favourite Scrambles4Money battle MC?
Pava Gunz
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_vote_lcap4%Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Cerebro
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_vote_lcap13%Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 3 ]
Anti-Bullshit
 13% [ 3 ]
Fudge Dafugitive
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_vote_lcap4%Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Jake Baker
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_vote_lcap8%Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
Illite MC
 13% [ 3 ]
Garlic Brown
 8% [ 2 ]
Fungus
Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_vote_lcap17%Zebulon Interviewing Umang I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 4 ]
Demon
 8% [ 2 ]
Maksimuz
 13% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Keywords
Similar topics
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar

Zebulon Interviewing Umang

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ChuckHorus
Admin
ChuckHorus

Zebulon Interviewing Umang Empty
PostZebulon Interviewing Umang

Good morning heads!! So I've been telling you that I will drop an interview I conducted with Umang, the next best thing in the US underground scene, and here it is!!

ZEBULON:
Firstly, I'm sure everyone out there is wondering, where were you born and raised?

UMANG:
I was born in Richland, Washington. Kinda been raised all over the country to be honest. A lot of my life has been divided on the east coast in areas such as Rhode Island, Maryland, most notably New Jersey.

ZEBULON:
Interesting... Those are not major hip hop communities as far as I know, so how did you get introduced to the culture? And when did you decide to start rapping yourself?

UMANG:
Well, being in the United States, hip-hop culture was infused everywhere. You can attribute it more or less to it being a state of mind. Didn't matter where you're from. Every town seems to have their own scene going on. New Jersey I must mention, is a pretty major state since as it's home to emcees such as Redman, Joe Budden, Chino XL, among many others. I started writing, rapping, since I was 15. Though I've been integrated into the culture since I can remember.

ZEBULON:
Word man. You're Hindu right? What did your family say when they found out you're taking this seriously?

UMANG:
I'm Indian(Southeast Asian) yes, but I don't consider myself to be Hindu per say, as I'm not religious. That's not to say I'm not spiritual though. Since 15, I've been on my own. I didn't have much family, man. Just a Mom who lives across the country and one older brother, that's it. They weren't even aware when I had the desire to pursue my goals & dreams musically. They know now, and think it's cool and all. But they aren't aware to the extent of it.

ZEBULON:
Yeah man that spirituality is seeps through in some of your tracks and its much appreciated. What many people wanna know is, which artists do you listen to when the pen is put aside?

UMANG:
First of all, thank you. And I wanna say I appreciate ALL of you that do listen. I mean damn, everybody raps now. And the increasing amount of people that tell me they listen and dig the music is humbling to say the least. As far as who I listen to? Wow, the influences are a many. I don't listen to other artists when making an album as I am right now. But to name a few, in no order; Nas, Del, Wu-Tang, Redman, Eminem, Krs-One, Jay-Z, the list goes on and on. As well as some local cats like Task & Linus, and D-Strong.

ZEBULON:
Haha I was expecting artists in that range man. Yeah there are many rappers out there. Everyone wants to rap nowadays. But when you started to take this seriously, what did you decide will be the element that puts you aside from other emcees and makes you unique?

UMANG:
That's a really good question, I haven't thought of that before. Well, not that it makes me unique as I find qualities as this in many other artists, but I wanted to work very hard on

my craft whilst staying true to myself. ALWAYS being honest, I pride myself on that. Hard work, honesty, being a perfectionist. Coming off authentic. I think that's something that's becoming rarer these days. Many are trying to make an easy dollar at the cost of the genre's integrity & respectability, and it's a damn shame. I don't shy away about speaking such things in the music.

ZEBULON:
Tell us more about your upcoming album. When is it dropping? Are you featuring any artists? Lay it out there bro

UMANG:
Man, this next album is the one I want to be remembered most for. It's titled "The Revisited". Title concept comes from the song I did with Kick Back, "Revisited" off my first album(The First Impression LP). I'm working with B.B.Z. Darney once again, who will do all the production. We got the legendary DJ Grazzhoppa as well providing the cuts on a few joints. Album is definitely my most personal one. Meaning can be taken in more ways than one. Revisiting the golden age of hip-hop, revisiting your past, just basically taking it back to the essence of where it "all" began so to speak. There will once again, be no features, strictly a One emcee, One producer album. I don't like to overstate things but, it is my best work I've done thus far as a complete album. B.B.Z. Darney's production is just ridiculous on here. I'm very privileged to work with such a talented, up and coming producer. It is gonna drop May 15th. We are actually doing a co-release with Epidemic, where we will both be promoting each other. It's a beautiful thing. Shoutouts to Hex-One & Teknition.

ZEBULON:
Dope stuff fam. I'm excited bro for real! Where will the album be available for people in and outside of the US? Are there any promo tracks dropping before the release date?

UMANG:
Thanks homie. It will be available digitally on umang.bandcamp.com on May 15th and physically probably some weeks later on ughh.com. As for promo tracks yes, a single will be dropping sometime in late April.

ZEBULON:
Dope stuff. You should keep us posted. And with regards to performing live, do you do shows in the States? Do you plan on doing any touring in the next couple of years?

UMANG:
I will keep you posted for sure. Yes, I do shows occasionally in the U.S.. As far as touring, I would simply love to tour provided there is a demand publicly and the funds have to be available. I love performing, nothing like being on stage with all eyes on you as you pour your heart out whilst giving the folks a distraction from their normal lives.

ZEBULON:
For sure man, we would love to see you here in South Africa in the future. Let's get back to Umang on a personal note. Introduce us to the man when the mic and pen are aside. Excluding rap, what are your passions in life? What do you do on an ordinary day to kill time? What basketball/hockey/baseball/football/soccer teams do you support?

UMANG:
Word up, when I'm not writing, recording or doing shows, I'm a complete family dude. I spend time with my wife and baby girl(1yr old), who are the center of my Universe. I play my Xbox 360 when I can, or play the old school Nintendo joints on the Wii, which was the era I grew up in. As you can tell from some of the musical content, I'm a HUGE sports fanatic. I'm a die hard Nba & Boxing fan, I know my shit haha. I'm definitely a Brooklyn Nets & Utah Jazz fan, but I appreciate the entire league in general and it's history. Guess you can call me somewhat of a historian in that regards. As well as in Boxing too. I follow the NFL and MLB as well. Not too much soccer though gotta admit, though when the World Cup comes around, I watch it. My wife loves Mexico, so I follow them a little bit.

ZEBULON:
Dope stuff mate... Before we wrap this up, we have a lot up aspiring and upcoming MC's here in South Africa, not to mention around the world. Any words of motivation and advice to them?

UMANG:
To be blunt, put the work in! Whatever hard work you put in, I promise that is what you'll receive back. Yes, it can be wearing on your patience, but I can't stress enough just how fulfilling it is to work on your craft. And put all the bullshit aside, & calm the egos. Hip-hop has enough drama as is. If you're not contributing to the culture, then you are hurting it. It's not about who's best, better or whatever. There is no best, no matter how dope you

are, there is always someone out there better than you. Create your lane, find your niche, and go with it. Also, respect the culture's history & pioneers. As the old saying goes, "If you don't know where your from, you're not gonna know where your going". Or something like that.

ZEBULON:
Word up man! Thanks for your time. Is there anything you want to add as a footnote to end it off?

UMANG:
As far as a footnote? Hmm, only that once again, the new album "The Revisited" will be dropping most likely on May 15th. First single, "On A(Honor)Roll", will be on the web May 1st accompanied by a video later on. I'll make sure you get the single exclusively before many others do. As I appreciate this entire interview you've conducted.

And that’s it fam! This dude is a real humble and down to earth cat with tons of talent. Each and every track I’ve heard of him is fire and if you sleeping on this emcee then you better wake up! Below are the links to his first and second albums, First Impressions and Lasting Impressions. His new album is also dropping May 15th so keep an eye and ear out for that too!!

http://umang.bandcamp.com/album/lasting-impressions

http://umang.bandcamp.com/album/the-first-impression-lp afro
Back to top Go down
https://unordinaryhiphopsite.forumotion.com
Share this post on: reddit

Zebulon Interviewing Umang :: Comments

Eamonik
Re: Zebulon Interviewing Umang
Post Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 am by Eamonik
Cant wait for the 3rd Album!!!!
Zebulon
Re: Zebulon Interviewing Umang